We had a great day here at St. Catherine’s Traditional Catholic Summer School, day 6. We talked about the traditional Catholic Extreme Unction. We discussed the different sins that this Sacrament talks about.
The priest takes the Oleum Infirmorum (the Oil of the Sick) and annoints the sick person in 6 places:
Per istam sanctam Unctiónem + et suam piisimam misericórdiam, indúlgeat tibi Dóminus quidquid per (visum, audtiotum, odorátum, gustum et locutiónem, tactum, gressum deliquisti.)
By this holy unction + and his own most gracious mercy, may the Lord pardon you whatever sin you have committed by (sight, hearing, smell, taste and speech, touch, ability to walk).
In the Novus Ordo Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick, only the forehead and hands are anointed.
THE SACRAMENT OF THE ANOINTING OF THE SICK IS ADMINISTERED TO THOSE WHO ARE DANGEROUSLY ILL, BY ANOINTING THEM ON THE FOREHEAD AND HANDS WITH OLIVE OIL, OR, IF OPPORTUNE, WITH ANOTHER VEGETABLE OIL PROPERLY BLESSED, AND SAYING ONCE ONLY THE FOLLOWING WORDS:
“PER ISTAM SANCTAM UNCTIONEM ET SUAM PIISSIMAM MISERICORDIAM ADIUVET TE DOMINUS GRATIA SPIRITUS SANCTI, UT A PECCATIS LIBERATUM TE SALVET ATQUE PROPITIUS ALLEVIET.” Vatican Documents
“Through this holy anointing may the Lord in his love and mercy help you with the grace of the Holy Spirit. May the Lord who frees you from sin save you and raise you up”
- Eyes: watching bad things like pornography, reading bad things, lusting, mean looks, wasting time watching TV, Sports, Video games.
- Ears: Listening to bad music, movies, gossip, false christian teachings, eavesdropping, dirty jokes, bad stories.
- Nose: being too particular about everything having to smell good, complaining about body odor of others, sticking nose up in the air as if you are better than someone else.
- Lips: lying, taking God’s name in vain, cussing, cursing, saying bad things, telling dirty jokes, gossiping, bearing false witnesses, destroying peoples reputations with lies, doing sexual sins with your mouth, gluttony, spitting at people, talking too much, bragging, putting people down, screaming at people.
- Hands: Masturbation, molesting and other sinful sexual things, writing bad things, killing people, stealing, hitting, giving the finger, throwing things at people, voting for politicians who are for abortion and other immoral things.
- Feet: Walking into a place to sin like a strip club or a casino, pushing the accelerator to speed, kicking someone.
There are numerous other sins that we commit with our body. You can make your own list. We ask God to give us the grace to not use our body for evil, but instead for good. There are many things that we could or are doing with our body too.
The girls learned how to do finger knitting.
The original author of this blog passed away in July of 2016. RIP Father Carota.