From the Holy Sacraments of Baptism and Confirmation, we have been given the indwelling presences of the Holy Trinity, including the Holy Spirit. In a world where we are inundated with sexual impurity, we need strength from God to fight the sexual temptations and to stay sexually pure.
- Goodness, or in other words ‘holiness’ helps us be pure and holy.
- Modesty, dressing and acting modestly helps us avoid sexual lust.
- Continency is a discipline to abstain form sexual activity.
- Chastity helps us live chaste sexual lives. Celibacy when we are single. And sexual chastity when we are married in the Catholic Church, (no unfaithfulness, adultery, pornography, masturbation, lust).
All of the gifts of the Holy Spirit are great aids in fighting the battle against the sins of the flesh and to live chaste lives. But there are three that are especially helpful since they help us to do what is right, not what is wrong.
- The gift of wisdom helps us to know what is important and to detach from a sensual life and to live a life pleasing to God that looks forward to the joys of heaven.
- The gift of piety helps us to be holy, pray and serve God, not our passions.
- The gift of fear gives us true fear of offending God and be condemned to hell for the sins of the flesh. It also gives us the strength to avoid all things that would offend God.
As weak as the flesh is, the Holy Spirit gives strength to fight temptation and enlightens the intellect/mind so that we are able to make a correct decision to not sin and instead to do the good.
The next time we are sexually tempted, let us turn to the Holy Spirit and beg for more graces to have the power to obey the will, not our fallen passions. Of course we also turn to Jesus, Mary, St. Joseph, St. Michael, all the angels and saints for their help too.
The original author of this blog passed away in July of 2016. RIP Father Carota.