After a good relationship with God, we traditional Catholics know that there is nothing as important for our own happiness, the happiness and well being of children, and that of society, is the FAMILY.
First off we need to remind ourselves about our true and eternal family that we entered into at Holy Baptism and of whom we will belong to forever. That is the Holy Trinity of Father, Son and Holy Spirit. We want to know about the Loving Supernatural Family of the Trinity, so that we can copy it and enter into a deep union with it. The “Holy Trinity Family” is a perfect union of love and order, through self-donation and obedience. The Father is the boss. The Son Jesus obeys perfectly His Father. And the Holy Spirit is the glue of Love and self donation that keeps the perfect union between the Three Persons in The One God.
Through the Holy Sacraments the Trinity enters into our souls and we enter into union with this Divine Family. And from this, God is able to communicate graces and knowledge that will allow us to happy from our union with this Divine Family and our own families.
- created the family to be a permanent union of one man and one woman,
“Have ye not read, that he who made man from the beginning, Made them male and female? And he said: For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife, and they two shall be in one flesh.” Matt 19:4-5.
- to have many children, (Go and multiply),
“But increase you and multiply, and go upon the earth, and fill it.” Gen. 9:7
- to have order and obedience in the 4th Commandment “to honor your father and mother” and through the set roles God has established in the family, with the father as head of the family, and wife and children subject and obedient to the father for the well being of the family.
- the husband is to love, protect and provide for his wife as his own body, like Christ loves, protects and provides for His Bride the Church.
- to receive the Sacrament of Marriage before living together and having sexual relations. This sacrament gives the couple the graces to maintain a holy family and is built on the graces already given to us in Baptism, Confirmation and Holy Communion).
- God created the family for procreation of many children, mutual help, a remedy for the sexual passion caused by concupiscence, and the good for society.
- to have only monogamous families, one father and one mother, even though, because of the stubbornness of heart, there was polygamy and divorce allowed before Christ’s coming.
Jesus’ incarnation, death and resurrection has given extraordinary graces to man to be either celebrate like Him or to be faithful in Holy Matrimony. Before this, a woman, wife, had no rights and was considered the man’s possession. We find in the 1914 Catholic Encyclopedia:
“The wife is neither the slave nor the property of her husband, but his consort and companion. The Christian family is supernatural, inasmuch as it originates in a sacrament. Through the sacrament of matrimony husband and wife obtain an increase of sanctifying grace, and a claim upon those actual graces which are necessary to the proper fulfilment of all the duties of family life, and the relations between husband and wife, parents and children, are supernaturalized and sanctified. The end and the ideal of the Christian family are likewise supernatural, namely, the salvation of parents and children, and the union between Christ and His Church.”
“Husbands, love your wives, as Christ also loved the church, and delivered himself up for it”, says St. Paul (Eph., v, 25). And the intimacy of the marital union, the identification, almost, of husband and wife, is seen in the injunction: “So also ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife, loveth himself” (Eph., v. 28).
We want to be happy. God created us to be happy. God’s commandments come from His love so that we can protect our happiness. We traditional Catholics believe this and for that reason order our lives and families according to God’s way, not our way or the worldly way that do not work. It only leads to illegitimate children, child custody law suits, child support, government deciding who and when the children can visit parents, divorce, broken promises, broken homes, broken spouses, broken children, and poverty.
The original author of this blog passed away in July of 2016. RIP Father Carota.